Copyright (c) 2007 SharpBrains
Interested in improving your attention, memory, thinking skills, ability to manage stressful situations? Good news: "Recent research in neuroplasticity - the brain's ability to change in response to information and new activities - shows that brain cells and new pathways continue to develop throughout life...", say mainstream newspapers like the New York Times, who are increasing their coverage on the growing movement of "brain training" games and technologies.
An article titled "Mind Over Matter, With a Machine's Help" provides a great overview on how to combine cognitive therapy with fMRI (an advanced neuroimaging technique that enables movie-like visual feedback on what areas of the brain are getting activated). Another article, titled "Calisthenics for the Older Mind, on the Home Computer", reviews a number of commercial software packages.
I have interviewed 10 neuroscientists and experts in cognitive and emotional training to better understand the research behind this field and the implications for our lives. Let me share with you some of my favorite quotes:
1) "Learning is physical. Learning means the modification, growth, and pruning of our neurons, connections'called synapses' and neuronal networks, through experience...we are cultivating our own neuronal networks."- Dr. James Zull, Professor of Biology and Biochemistry at Case Western University.
2) "Exercising our brains systematically ways is as important as exercising our bodies. In my experience, "Use it or lose it" should really be "Use it and get more of it".- Dr. Elkhonon Goldberg, neuropsychologist, clinical professor of neurology at New York University School of Medicine, and disciple of the great neuropsychologist Alexander Luria.
3) "Individuals who lead mentally stimulating lives, through education, occupation and leisure activities, have reduced risk of developing Alzheimer's symptoms. Studies suggest that they have 35-40% less risk of manifesting the disease"- Dr. Yaakov Stern, Division Leader of the Cognitive Neuroscience Division of the Sergievsky Center at the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University, New York.
4) "What research has shown is that cognition, or what we call thinking and performance, is really a set of skills that we can train systematically." - Dr. Daniel Gopher, Professor of Cognitive Psychology and Human Factors Engineering at Technion Institute of Science.
5) "Elite performers are distinguished by the structuring of their learning process...You need to protect and optimize that practice, learning time' It is important to understand the role of emotions: they are not "bad". They are very useful signals. It is important to become aware of them to avoid being engulfed by them, and learn how to manage them." - Dr. Brett Steenbarger, Associate Professor of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, SUNY Medical University, and author of Enhancing Trader Performance.
6) "We have shown that working memory can be improved by training" ' Dr. Torkel Klingberg, Professor at Karolinska Institute, and Director of the Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience Lab, part of the Stockholm Brain Institute.
7) "I don't see that schools are applying the best knowledge of how minds work. Schools should be the best place for applied neuroscience, taking the latest advances in cognitive research and applying it to the job of educating minds." - Dr. Arthur Lavin, Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at Case Western School of Medicine, pediatrician in private practice.
If you are interested in learning more about this exciting field of "brain fitness" and "brain exercise", please keep tuned. Over the next weeks we will publish new interviews with:
- Dr. Judith S. Beck, Director of the Beck Institute for Cognitive Therapy and Research, and author of The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person.
- Dr. Robert Sylwester, Emeritus Professor of Education at the University of Oregon. His most recent book is The Adolescent Brain: Reaching for Autonomy. The Education Press Association of America has given him two Distinguished Achievement Awards for his syntheses of cognitive science research.
Now you know: Nutrition, Physical Exercise and Stress Management are very important to your brain health and fitness, but you can also exercise and improve your "Mental Muscles"!
Alvaro Fernandez is the CEO and Co-Founder of SharpBrains, which provides the latest science-based information for Brain Exercise and Brain Training, and has been recognized by Scientific American Mind, MarketWatch, CBS, Forbes, and more. Alvaro holds MA in Education and MBA from Stanford University, and teaches The Science of Brain Health at UC-Berkeley Lifelong Learning Institute. You can read in-depth interviews with more than 10 neuroscientists and experts at http://www.sharpbrains.com/
|2 Nutrition Periods For An Amazingly Fast Muscle M||24 Hour Fitness Devices Best Weightloss Instrument|
|5 Essential Components To Optimal Physical Fitness||5 Figure Monthly Income As A Group Body Fitness Ex|
|7 Quotes From Neuroscientists That Will Revolution||A Beginners Guide To Treadmill Workouts|
|A Fitness Stair Stepper Is The Best For Keeping Fi||A Review Of The Sportcraft Tx5.0 Rc Treadmill|
|A Review On The Carl Lewis Motp12 Motorised Treadm||A Review On The Nordictrack Cx 925 Elliptical Fitn|
|About||Accessories To Consider When Buying A Treadmill|
|All About The Antigravity Treadmill||An Alternative To Traditional Exercise The Rowing|
|Angie Varona Come To Be A Fitness Instructor||Basic Strategies To Bulk Your Muscle Mass|
|Benefits Of Using Whole Body Vibration Machine Imp||Best Fitness Vibration Plate Machine For Whole Bod|
|Building Lean Muscle Mass 4 Critical Factors To Co||Building Muscle Mass With Carbs Why Gluconeogenesi|
|Burn Fat Faster With Hiit Treadmill Exercises||California Fitness Vs Fitness First|
|Cardiovascular Fitness Swimming And Skating||Choices Of Fitness Equipment For Good Health|
|Christmas Is For Fitness Too||Combine Kettlebell Training And Tabata Training Ou|
|Congratulations To Fitness Legend Dr. Bob Delmonte||Construct Muscle Top Rated Postworkout Foods To Cr|
|Cork In Yoga And Fitness Studios||Easy Stretching Exercises For Fitness Flexibility|
|Eating To Build Muscle Mass How To Grow Lean Muscl||Exercise Routine Build Amazing Bicep Muscle Mass|
|Farmacell Shorts I A Must For Your Fitness||Fast Gain Muscle Mass Secrets To Natural Bodybuild|
|Fitness As A Metaphor For Life||Fitness Center Marketing Branding|
|Fitness Center The Mecca For Good Body And Health||Fitness Equipment Bahrain|
|Fitness Equipment Bodymax 1200ca Programmable Trea||Fitness Equipment Information On The Powertec Work|
|Fitness Equipment Repair Examining The Bremshey Tr||Fitness Equipment Review The Johnson W8000 Air Row|
|Fitness Equipment Review The Weslo Cadence 16.0 Fo||Fitness Equipment Servicing Bremshey Cardio Pacer|
|Fitness Equipment Servicing Infiniti R99 Programma||Fitness Equipment Vibratec Vb500 Vibration Plate R|
|Fitness Machine Workout Options||Fitness Marketing Creating Your Fitness Industry U|
|Fitness Model Diet How To Glimpse Like A Fitness M||Fitness Tips For Everybody Get The Most From Your|
|Fitness Tips To Improve Your Daily Workout||Follow These Suggestions For A Comprehensive Fitne|
|Gaining Muscle Mass Rapidly Demands Commitment||Get In Shape How Fitness Affects Life Insurance Pr|
|Get Rid Of Belly Fat Be Sexy Fitness Models||Get Rid Of Belly Fat With P90x P90x The Really Bes|
|Get Rid Of Love Handles After Pregnancy With Jenni||Getting A Good Workout With The Rowing Machine|
|Health Care Muscle Massager Slimming Electronic Pu||Healthy Life Tips By Health Fitness Idea|
|Healthy Skin Indian Beauty Tips Beauty Home Treatm||Heart Rate Recovery Fitness Test|
|Height And Weight Chart For Adults To Keep Track O||High Protein Diet Plan How To Structure The Best D|
|Home Fitness Options||Privacy|